CMR student and graduates set world record

This summer, senior George Vogl found out firsthand that Xbox’s are great for entertainment — but cooking hamburgers, not so much.

“I was so out of it. I found a cold hamburger in a bag. I tried to cook it on my Xbox-I thought it would work,” Vogl said.

On Saturday, Aug. 20, 2011, Vogl was one of four Great Falls teens who played Bad Company 2 for 51 hours and 21 minutes, at Montana State University-COT in Great Falls, setting the world record for most consecutive time spent playing video games.

“I had the most energy the whole time. I was goofing off the whole time. I had to keep my teammates awake,” Vogl said. “I was constantly nagging Jeff to stay awake.”

It may have been tough to stay awake, but breaks were allowed. Ten minutes for every hour are received, and time can be accumulated, so naps could be taken.

According to Vogl, a few vital power naps were taken, and those naps were what allowed them to keep pushing through.

Even with the naps and breaks, it only took about 24 hours for Vogl to have things become wild. It got to the point where he had to ask himself “What am I doing? Where am I at?”

“I was almost ready to pass out. Minutes were going by so slow,” he said.

Of course, Vogl couldn’t have done it without his friends. JJ Locke and Jeff Nation, both class of 2010, and Casey Coffman, class of 2011 set the record along with Vogl.

Nation was responsible for all the planning. He came up with the idea after reading about the record in the April issue of Game Informer Magazine.

“I thought it would be cool to break some kind of record,” Nation said.

Nation took care of setting everything up. He completed all the paperwork, he worked out being able to attempt the record at the COT, and he did all the contacting of Guinness Book of World Records, so it was official.

To make it official, there had to be two people watching at all times. Requirements were that those people had to be honest citizens. A webcam was set up, and it was supposed to take a picture every minute to prove they were actually participating. But according to Nation, he set it up wrong, so the entire thing was filmed.

The squad’s record was “unofficial” until Sept. 28, when Nation said he received an e-mail from the Guiness Book of World Records stating they are the offial record holders.

But this isn’t the end. The quartet plans on adding a few more hours to their record next year, according to both Vogl and Nation.

In shock? Need to hear it for yourself to believe it? Then take it from Vogl.

“I’d cancel all my plans and do it again.”