Jacobs ready for busy and exciting year in CMR’s art department

Sarah Ljunggren and Ian Kaiser, Staff Writers

Theresa Jacobs, one of CMR’s art teachers, is excited for the new school year, which she said is filled with exciting new equipment, art shows, and more opportunities for students.

One opportunity coming up for Art Club is to go to the Museum of the Rockies, Jacobs said.

“At The Museum of the Rockies there’s an exhibit from Pompeii. I don’t know if they’re original artifacts or if they are reproduced artifacts, but it’s supposed to be one of the best exhibits of Pompeii anywhere in the world. We are the only state west of the Mississippi that’s having the exhibit,” Jacobs said.

Some of those new opportunities include non-high school students.

“We have a K-6 workshop we are going to be teaching to elementary students around the city. On Saturdays, we are going to try to do one once a month, to promote our art program,” Jacobs said.

Not only do they have new programs, but they also have new and updated equipment.

“We have a lot of new clay equipment. We have two new potters’ wheels, a new slab roller. So I’m gonna focus a lot more on clay this year, high fire clay which is a more durable clay,” she said.

Students also have more chances to enter their work into competitions this year, Jacobs said. One competition happening soon is the Colors of the Fall exhibit.

“It’s an opportunity for kids to showcase their work with professional artists,” Jacobs said.

You don’t have to be an art student to enter into these competitions. Anyone and any skill level can enter.