Dart refers to political posters as a teaching lesson

Sophie Kluge, Staff Writer

Gregg Dart teaches street law and sociology, but he said he refers to his posters most during his government classes. He started collecting the posters as soon as he started teaching government.

“It started out as a way to show the differences between the two parties,” he said.

“I think the posters get students interested when they walk in,” Dart said. He also said that he finds it beneficial to the students’ learning.

“What has happened is candidates these days are no longer party-centered; they are candidate-centered,” Dart added. He says that recently the posters haven’t been the same color as their party the candidate is associated with. For example, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock’s poster is red, but he ran as a democrat.

“As it progressed, it was a way to show people how candidates have actually changed the way in which they campaign,” Dart said. The board that has the posters is actually set up like the political spectrum; republicans on the right side of the board and democrats on the left.

“I leave them up mainly as a reminder that it’s around us all the time,” Dart said. He said the posters help attach a visual perspective to the students learning when the government classes talk about elections and political socialization.